Principal Systems Engineer (66988)
Job Title: Principal Systems Engineer
Salary: £45,000- £53,000 per annum dependent on experience
Location: Frimley/ Weymouth/ Bristol/ Portsmouth/ Barrow in Furness
We currently have a vacancy to join one of the world’s leading, global defence, security and aerospace companies as a Principal Systems Engineer. This role can be based at any of the following sites: Frimley, Weymouth, Bristol, Portsmouth or Barrow-in-Furness.
They work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries. With approximately 3,500 employees based at 5 UK locations and revenue of £600million our client delivers support to more than 50% of the Royal Navy’s surface fleet.
The Complex Systems and Support team predominantly supply to the UK MoD but with smaller derivative work done in support of international Customers. The team is responsible for system design, build and/or procurement of the major electronic and mechanical systems on a submarine, as well as provision of test, integration and support services.
You will have the opportunity to work on one of a variety of our programmes and projects, helping us to design, develop, integrate, manage and support complex systems and combat sub-systems for in service and future submarines. You will work with other technical specialists and may manage a team of other engineers to understand and influence the inputs, flow of decisions and dependencies that will impact system design and product delivery.
You will be able to understand and report the programme status for engineering activities in your area of responsibility, be able to identify problem areas and implement recovery plans, helping us to support our submarines that play a critical role in our nation’s defence.
• Understanding and interpreting the User Needs and Concept of Operations (CONOPS) for the combat system or products and be able to derive the technical and functional requirements. Work at the relevant point of the engineering lifecycle to ensure that these systems are designed, built, integrated and accepted into service, with the correct level of authority. This will also include working with suppliers and the military users of our equipment.
• Developing the functional design of that system; its architecture, components and interfaces, and be able to understand the potential impact on the boat and key sub-systems.
• Delivering your outputs to agreed time, cost and quality in order to support project and business milestones, and ensuring that your work meets its contractual, safety and environmental obligations.
• Providing technical support to shipbuilder installation and/or integration activities (included in-service refitting authorities). You will have or develop an understanding of the customer Operational Defect (OPDEF) and maintenance processes to be able to provide specialist technical advice as required.
• Providing technical guidance and to other engineers and support project and engineer management teams in planning and controlling your specialist activities.
• Relocation package available
• Enhanced Pension scheme- up to 14% combined
• Overtime available
• Flexible working
• 25 holiday days plus bank holidays- 26 days after 5 years’ service/ 27 days after 10 years’ service
• Bonus based on company performance
• Shared Incentive Plan
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Life Assurance (you and your spouse/ partner)- 6 x salary
• Ill Health Income Protection/ Private Medical Insurance- 50% of salary
• Degree level qualification (or equivalent experience) in relevant STEM subject (Engineering/ Physics/ Maths/ Science).
• Knowledge of the system engineering lifecycle and be able to apply good systems engineering practices to your work
• Understanding of relevant engineering standards, including safety and environmental regulations
• We are looking for motivated people who can take responsibility for their own outputs and be confident working autonomously and in a structured manner.
• You will be capable of supervising others will have strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Use of system analysis and design tools such as Enterprise Architect.
• Experience of working in a customer-facing and/or supplier engagement role.
• Member of appropriate professional institution; Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership.
You must be eligible to apply for SC clearance and, therefore, must hold a British passport and have lived and worked in the UK for the past 5 years
Whether you’re looking for your next job or searching out the next superstar to join your team…
Aeropeople’s expertise and experience is entrenched in the aerospace, aviation, engineering, motorsport, automotive, and defence industries. We have the insight and know-how at both a local and international level to help bring people and businesses together, saving time and energy. Our capability is validated through our Engineering Services division encompassing Aircraft Line Maintenance services and Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisation (CAMO), combined with our Aviation Training division offering technical training aircraft courses.
During registration, please let us know where you are currently located or which locations you would consider taking a position in, required salary and notice period.
For the latest news, events and jobs please search ‘Aeropeople Ltd’ on LinkedIn and Facebook for our latest jobs or visit www.aeropeople.com