Principal Engineer- Computing & IT (IT Systems & Infrastructure)
Job Title: Principal Engineer- Computing & IT (IT Systems & Infrastructure)
Salary: £50,000- £60,000 per annum dependent on experience
Location: Frimley/ Weymouth/ Bristol/ Portsmouth or Barrow in Furness
We currently have a vacancy to join one of the world’s leading, global defence, security and aerospace companies as a Principal Engineer- Computing & IT (IT Systems & Infrastructure). This role can be based at any of their UK sites:- Frimley, Weymouth, Bristol, Portsmouth or Barrow in Furness.
They work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries. With approximately 3,500 employees based at 5 UK locations and revenue of £600million our client delivers support to more than 50% of the Royal Navy’s surface fleet.
The Complex Systems and Support team predominantly supply to the UK MoD but with smaller derivative work done in support of international Customers. The team is responsible for system design, build and/or procurement of the major electronic and mechanical systems on a submarine, as well as provision of test, integration and support services.
There are multiple, exciting positions within their submarine functions, working within complex systems. They are looking for both infrastructure and network engineers to work with a variety of teams. You will have the opportunity to work on one of a variety of programmes and projects, helping to design, develop, integrate, manage and support complex systems and combat sub-systems for in service and future submarines. This may include the development and support of their land-based integration, test and reference facilities.
Depending on your specific area of expertise and levels of experience, you will be working with them to ensure that their technical IT solutions are clearly defined, integrated, configured, controlled, delivered and accepted.
You will have knowledge of the IT marketplace, including products and suppliers and the direction of potential future technologies, in order to be able to support business planning and decision-making for new design activities and the implementation of change.
• Understanding the functional and technical requirements for the submarine combat system, products and test facilities and environments and be able to design, configure test and support the supporting IT and computing infrastructure.
• Work with other engineer specialists to understand the impacts of security and safety controls on the IT system design, architecture, components, interfaces and data.
• Implementing and delivering desktop and server hardware, installation, configuration and maintenance. Have an awareness of software defined networking.
• Providing technical guidance and support to other engineering teams during the submarine design, build and system installation and integration activities. You will have or develop an understanding of the customer Operational Defect (OPDEF) and maintenance processes to be able to provide specialist advice as required.
• Using your knowledge of current and potential future potential technologies in the marketplace to understand and be able to provide advice on the implications for sub-system design in a submarine.
• Relocation package available
• Enhanced Pension scheme- up to 14% combined
• Overtime available
• Flexible working
• 25 holiday days plus bank holidays- 26 days after 5 years’ service/ 27 days after 10 years’ service
• Bonus based on company performance
• Shared Incentive Plan
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Life Assurance (you and your spouse/ partner)- 6 x salary
• Ill Health Income Protection/ Private Medical Insurance- 50% of salary
• Degree level qualification (or equivalent experience) in relevant IT or STEM subject (Engineering/ Physics/ Maths/ Science).
• Knowledge of the system engineering lifecycle and be able to apply good systems engineering and IT practices to your work
• Understanding of relevant engineering standards, including safety and environmental regulations
• Hands on experience working within ESX, VMWare, Linux and SAN
• We are looking for motivated people who can take responsibility for their own outputs and be confident working autonomously and in a structured manner.
• You will be capable of supervising others will have strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience of working in a customer-facing and/ or supplier engagement role.
• Member of appropriate professional institution; Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership.
You must be eligible to apply for SC clearance and, therefore, must hold a British passport and have lived and worked in the UK for the past 5 years
Whether you’re looking for your next job or searching out the next superstar to join your team…
Aeropeople’s expertise and experience is entrenched in the aerospace, aviation, engineering, motorsport, automotive, and defence industries. We have the insight and know-how at both a local and international level to help bring people and businesses together, saving time and energy. Our capability is validated through our Engineering Services division encompassing Aircraft Line Maintenance services and Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisation (CAMO), combined with our Aviation Training division offering technical training aircraft courses.
During registration, please let us know where you are currently located or which locations you would consider taking a position in, required salary and notice period.
For the latest news, events and jobs please search ‘Aeropeople Ltd’ on LinkedIn and Facebook for our latest jobs or visit www.aeropeople.com